I'm a managing partner at MNL Partners, where we develop energy and environmental projects in global markets, with a focus on China. Earlier, I made venture capital investments at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester. I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- .@BillAulet dropping knowledge about MVP myopia and listening to customers. @FINsix case study highly relevant techcrunch.com/2014/03/01/our… 5 days ago
- Can't help but chuckle when I read the words "electronic vehicle" in a lede: techcrunch.com/2014/03/02/the… 6 days ago
- There's been a massive biotech IPO boom for the past year, and I have yet to hear a cogent explanation as to why. Brownian investor motion? 1 week ago
- "This! Bird is on fi-iiiire!" bit.ly/1gi4FDI Really, BrightSource solar thermal will kill many fewer birds than neighborhood cats 2 weeks ago
- On-the-money piece re: carbon in China: bit.ly/1dndvSj Regime focused on urban Sox/Nox/PM2.5s; glad to dump CO2 into rural air 2 weeks ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.
Author Archives: Matthew Nordan
tl;dr: To successfully target VCs, view your deal through their eyes. I got an outstanding piece of advice in my first job: “Always see the world from the other person’s point of view.” If you’re trying to sign the pivotal … Continue reading
tl;dr: Nest Labs performs magic – making energy efficiency awesome, even for the nontechnical and non-green. We’re delighted to invest in the company. Back in February I acquired a Nest Learning Thermostat, famously designed by Apple’s original iPhone team. Looks … Continue reading
tl;dr: Mrs. Nordan vs. Nest thermostat! Will it take an afternoon to install? Will we ruin our house in the process? No on both counts! In June we installed a Nest Learning Thermostat in chez Nordan; I helmed the camera … Continue reading
tl;dr: Winning cleantech start-up teams are complete at founding, have strong pre-existing relationships, and include the inventor of the core technology. This post was co-written with Josh Rogers, a former Venrock intern who’s now in National Grid’s Strategic Planning and … Continue reading