I'm a managing partner at MNL Partners, where we develop energy and environmental projects in global markets, with a focus on China. Earlier, I made venture capital investments at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester. I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- RT @JohnDPMorgan: The multiplier effect of a dollar spent on energy philanthropy is enormous. ssireview.org/blog/entry/ene… @forachelP 2 weeks ago
- Dear media industry, The Saudis are not keeping oil cheap to "hurt solar and wind." There is not a lot of oil-fired power. Sincerely, Me 2 weeks ago
- MNL Partners is recruiting for an Associate in Shanghai. Spread the word! Job description here: mnlpartners.com/careers.html 2 weeks ago
- Love it when my former interns start awesome companies. Even more when their products are delicious. Go @AnchorNutri http://t.co/FfIsLv1UG0 3 weeks ago
- RT @tommatzzie: See before disruption and after disruption real-time energy prices in $/MWh. That is @pjminterconnect responding. http://t.… 3 weeks ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.
Author Archives: Matthew Nordan
tl;dr: Mrs. Nordan vs. Nest thermostat! Will it take an afternoon to install? Will we ruin our house in the process? No on both counts! In June we installed a Nest Learning Thermostat in chez Nordan; I helmed the camera … Continue reading
tl;dr: Winning cleantech start-up teams are complete at founding, have strong pre-existing relationships, and include the inventor of the core technology. This post was co-written with Josh Rogers, a former Venrock intern who’s now in National Grid’s Strategic Planning and … Continue reading
tl;dr: Life is about to get a lot better for demand response and energy efficiency companies. One of the challenges of venture capital is that you invest in companies now based on what you know now, but the world may … Continue reading
For this year’s ARPA-E Summit I was asked to give a talk about different ways to finance an energy start-up. The challenge as it was given to me was “cover all sources of financing – VC, angels, grants, debt, everything … Continue reading
tl;dr: Arrogant humans think we have the natural world all figured out. We don’t. I spend a small but meaningful amount of my time at Venrock intentionally looking at crazy stuff. If you are developing a cold fusion generator or … Continue reading
tl;dr: Saw it coming. Didn’t act. D’oh. I did a podcast recently about water treatment in oil and gas for Platt’s, the veteran trade publisher in the sector. We focused specifically on flowback water and produced water from shale sites. … Continue reading