I'm a venture capital investor at Venrock focused on energy and environmental technologies. Earlier, I co-founded and led Lux Research and forecasted technology futures at Forrester. I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- Things I am looking for: micro jet engines, tiny/cheap LIDAR sensors, and lightweight, low-cost micro fuel cells. A lot of micro presently 3 days ago
- Moniz confirmed 97-0 as DOE Sec. I applaud this. He's well-equipped for tough decisions on #natgas exports, advanced nuclear, and innovation 4 days ago
- Ran near big wetland this AM. The most interesting things in nature happen at interfaces between 2 worlds. True of innovation/investment too 5 days ago
- @asheen Tech is not longterm solution IMHO, but midterm one that buys time for intergenerational behavior change. Glad to discuss #VERGEcon 6 days ago
- @jasonjjay Totally agree. Radical innovation just buys us time -- but a lot of time, 100s of yrs, long enough for behavior change #VERGEcon 6 days ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.
Author Archives: Matthew Nordan
tl;dr: Winning cleantech start-up teams are complete at founding, have strong pre-existing relationships, and include the inventor of the core technology. This post was co-written with Josh Rogers, a former Venrock intern who’s now in National Grid’s Strategic Planning and … Continue reading
tl;dr: Life is about to get a lot better for demand response and energy efficiency companies. One of the challenges of venture capital is that you invest in companies now based on what you know now, but the world may … Continue reading
For this year’s ARPA-E Summit I was asked to give a talk about different ways to finance an energy start-up. The challenge as it was given to me was “cover all sources of financing – VC, angels, grants, debt, everything … Continue reading
tl;dr: Arrogant humans think we have the natural world all figured out. We don’t. I spend a small but meaningful amount of my time at Venrock intentionally looking at crazy stuff. If you are developing a cold fusion generator or … Continue reading