I'm a managing partner at MNL Partners, where we develop energy and environmental projects in global markets, with a focus on China. Earlier, I made venture capital investments at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester. I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- RT @SWoodKearney: It has been a profound privilege to forge "A New Vision for Funding Science" alongside @matthewnordan & @Fiona_MIT http… 2 days ago
- 9/9 I'm privileged to work with MIT Dean of Innovation @Fiona_MIT and PRIME Exec Dir @SWoodKearney on this project. Tell us what you think. 2 days ago
- 8/9 The SSIR article details the situation, the philanthropic tools, and organizations that are pioneering their use -- plus a path forward. 2 days ago
- 7/9 When it comes to the philanthropic motivation, the bad news is it's trickier. The good news is promising, underexploited tools exist. 2 days ago
- 6/9 My firm MNL Partners focuses on "strategic"+"sovereign," bringing large Chinese enterprises into partnerships with U.S. hard tech co's. 2 days ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.
Author Archives: Matthew Nordan
tl;dr: To successfully target VCs, view your deal through their eyes. I got an outstanding piece of advice in my first job: “Always see the world from the other person’s point of view.” If you’re trying to sign the pivotal … Continue reading
tl;dr: Nest Labs performs magic – making energy efficiency awesome, even for the nontechnical and non-green. We’re delighted to invest in the company. Back in February I acquired a Nest Learning Thermostat, famously designed by Apple’s original iPhone team. Looks … Continue reading
tl;dr: Mrs. Nordan vs. Nest thermostat! Will it take an afternoon to install? Will we ruin our house in the process? No on both counts! In June we installed a Nest Learning Thermostat in chez Nordan; I helmed the camera … Continue reading
tl;dr: Winning cleantech start-up teams are complete at founding, have strong pre-existing relationships, and include the inventor of the core technology. This post was co-written with Josh Rogers, a former Venrock intern who’s now in National Grid’s Strategic Planning and … Continue reading