I'm a venture capital investor at Venrock focused on energy and environmental technologies. Earlier, I co-founded and led Lux Research and forecasted technology futures at Forrester. I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- Great to see first @Breakout_Labs co reaching an outcome. Rare point of innovation in financing of sci/tech start-ups bit.ly/1f2wG1X 1 day ago
- The "lol drones on your doorstep" response to $AMZN is off the mark. These are intended for window docks and rooftops in urban areas. 6 days ago
- Xlnt reporting by @katiefehren: gigaom.com/2013/12/03/cou… Exaggeration, corner-cutting, and wishful thinking are sadly endemic in battery tech 1 week ago
- Actual banker pitch email: "I don't know much about the co yet but do know they are in IT sector and will most likely be looking for $3-5MM" 1 week ago
- As a longtime drone believer it's funny to see the chatter post-Amazon announcement. A single "safe" entrant shifts the conventional wisdom. 1 week ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.
Author Archives: Matthew Nordan
tl;dr: To successfully target VCs, view your deal through their eyes. I got an outstanding piece of advice in my first job: “Always see the world from the other person’s point of view.” If you’re trying to sign the pivotal … Continue reading
tl;dr: Nest Labs performs magic – making energy efficiency awesome, even for the nontechnical and non-green. We’re delighted to invest in the company. Back in February I acquired a Nest Learning Thermostat, famously designed by Apple’s original iPhone team. Looks … Continue reading
tl;dr: Mrs. Nordan vs. Nest thermostat! Will it take an afternoon to install? Will we ruin our house in the process? No on both counts! In June we installed a Nest Learning Thermostat in chez Nordan; I helmed the camera … Continue reading
tl;dr: Winning cleantech start-up teams are complete at founding, have strong pre-existing relationships, and include the inventor of the core technology. This post was co-written with Josh Rogers, a former Venrock intern who’s now in National Grid’s Strategic Planning and … Continue reading