I'm a managing partner at MNL Partners, where we develop energy and environmental projects in global markets, with a focus on China. Earlier, I made venture capital investments at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester. I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- .@BillAulet dropping knowledge about MVP myopia and listening to customers. @FINsix case study highly relevant techcrunch.com/2014/03/01/our… 4 days ago
- Can't help but chuckle when I read the words "electronic vehicle" in a lede: techcrunch.com/2014/03/02/the… 5 days ago
- There's been a massive biotech IPO boom for the past year, and I have yet to hear a cogent explanation as to why. Brownian investor motion? 1 week ago
- "This! Bird is on fi-iiiire!" bit.ly/1gi4FDI Really, BrightSource solar thermal will kill many fewer birds than neighborhood cats 2 weeks ago
- On-the-money piece re: carbon in China: bit.ly/1dndvSj Regime focused on urban Sox/Nox/PM2.5s; glad to dump CO2 into rural air 2 weeks ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.
Category Archives: Numbers
tl;dr: You can’t cheat your way to an ARPA-E grant by gaming the system. The program appears to be run in a remarkably unbiased fashion. Most folks in energy start-up land know that ARPA-E – the U.S. government agency launched … Continue reading
I’ve gotten a ton of feedback on the “state of cleantech VC” series – thanks so much to everyone who reached out! I’ve found myself discussing some of the same points with different people more than once, so I figured … Continue reading
(A version of this post also appeared at GigaOM.) tl;dr: We’re in the early innings of a long ball game. This week we’ve analyzed the state of cleantech venture capital and used data to discern myth from reality. In summary, … Continue reading
(A version of this post also appeared at GigaOM.) tl;dr: Half of successful VC-backed cleantech start-ups stumble along the way. Entrepreneurs who raise big financing rounds at sky-high valuations can end up shooting themselves in the foot. Most cleantech start-ups … Continue reading
(A version of this post also appeared at GigaOM.) tl;dr: There’s a widespread perception that cleantech venture capital must be tanking compared with VC overall. That perception is wrong. In yesterday’s post, we looked at the amount of capital that’s … Continue reading