I'm a venture capital investor at Venrock focused on energy and environmental technologies. Earlier, I co-founded and led Lux Research and forecasted technology futures at Forrester. I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- Things I am looking for: micro jet engines, tiny/cheap LIDAR sensors, and lightweight, low-cost micro fuel cells. A lot of micro presently 1 day ago
- Moniz confirmed 97-0 as DOE Sec. I applaud this. He's well-equipped for tough decisions on #natgas exports, advanced nuclear, and innovation 2 days ago
- Ran near big wetland this AM. The most interesting things in nature happen at interfaces between 2 worlds. True of innovation/investment too 3 days ago
- @asheen Tech is not longterm solution IMHO, but midterm one that buys time for intergenerational behavior change. Glad to discuss #VERGEcon 4 days ago
- @jasonjjay Totally agree. Radical innovation just buys us time -- but a lot of time, 100s of yrs, long enough for behavior change #VERGEcon 4 days ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.