I'm a managing partner at MNL Partners, where we develop energy and environmental projects in global markets, with a focus on China. I also serve on the boards of five audacious tech start-up companies. Finally, I'm co-founder and chairman of the investment committee at PRIME Coalition, a pioneering 501c3 nonprofit that's bringing philanthropic capital to energy innovation. In past lives I made venture capital investments at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester.
I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- Watching my Musk-orbit friends argue with my Bezos-orbit friends = amusing + encouraging. More genteel than Edison/Tesla War of Currents 7 hours ago
- Disruption to labor from soft robotics, (don't laugh) AI, etc = vast. Needs diff order of response. Ideas like basic income look less crazy 1 week ago
- First conversations are a means of establishing agreement. That's why we talk about the weather, or the hometown favorite football player 2 weeks ago
- .@GroveLabs: Grow food inside your house/condo/apt all year long. Badass team + product is beautiful. Kickstarter: kickstarter.com/projects/grove… 3 weeks ago
- If you haven't been to @otherlab in SF, find an excuse to. Strapped my arm into a robotic exoskeleton there yesterday, felt like Tony Stark 3 weeks ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.