I'm a venture capital investor at Venrock focused on energy and environmental technologies. Earlier, I co-founded and led Lux Research and forecasted technology futures at Forrester. I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- The "lol drones on your doorstep" response to $AMZN is off the mark. These are intended for window docks and rooftops in urban areas. 2 days ago
- Xlnt reporting by @katiefehren: gigaom.com/2013/12/03/cou… Exaggeration, corner-cutting, and wishful thinking are sadly endemic in battery tech 2 days ago
- Actual banker pitch email: "I don't know much about the co yet but do know they are in IT sector and will most likely be looking for $3-5MM" 3 days ago
- As a longtime drone believer it's funny to see the chatter post-Amazon announcement. A single "safe" entrant shifts the conventional wisdom. 3 days ago
- Things my children have heard since birth should they one day do a start-up: 1) always get restricted stock, 2) always sell after the lockup 1 week ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.