- There’s a secret formula that drives that world: people X stuff/person X resources/unit of stuff. The resources are arbitrary — water, hydrocarbons, phosphorous, neodymium… This ends badly without radical and sustainable increases in resource availability, which are the focus of my career.
- Most business propositions can be reduced to a few key numbers. Whether you’re making tough decisions as CEO or determining fit as an investor, it helps to work out the secret formula.
- Many start-up CEOs, and particularly first-time ones, struggle to adapt to the theater of fundraising. Having sat on both sides of the table, I want to shine light on the secret formula that early-stage investors seek.
I'm Managing Director of Prime Impact Fund, where we fund breakthrough start-ups that could have a big impact on climate. I also serve on the boards of five audacious tech start-up companies and two supporting organizations. In past lives I learned venture capital at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, developed energy and environmental projects in China at MNL Partners, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester.
I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- RT @Lilac_Solutions: Lilac Solutions Announces $150 Million Series B to Scale Lithium Supply for the Electric Vehicle Era https://t.co/2BeL… 1 day ago
- RT @lorakolodny: Lilac Solutions has developed a more sustainable way to extract lithium from brine resources including in the U.S. Investo… 1 day ago
- RT @cshapiro: Thrilled to team up with @AmyDuffuor and @matthewnordan on @collabfund's first investment in battery technology!@NoonEnergy… 3 months ago
- We’re recruiting for two critical roles at Prime – an EIR Fellow (open to BIPOC candidates) to explore new start-up… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 months ago
- The last frontier of silicon PV cost, performance, and environmental footprint. techcrunch.com/2020/10/27/lea… 11 months ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.