I'm a managing partner at MNL Partners, where we develop energy and environmental projects in global markets, with a focus on China. I also serve on the boards of five audacious tech start-up companies. Finally, I'm co-founder and chairman of the investment committee at PRIME Coalition, a pioneering 501c3 nonprofit that's bringing philanthropic capital to energy innovation. In past lives I made venture capital investments at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester.
I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- PRIME Coalition backs @ReboundTech $1.2MM seed round for breakthrough refrigeration. Big potential climate impact globenewswire.com/news-release/2… 3 days ago
- Enernoc/ENEL: Along with acquisitions by Engie, Total, GDF Suez, clear that European energy co's are making v. different bets than US peers 1 month ago
- V. unreported story, broader than this piece. Word = legislation being drafted that will choke broad swathes of tech reuters.com/article/us-usa… 1 month ago
- Apparently all software is AI now. Congrats folks! 1 month ago
- I couldn't be prouder of @LuxResearch team past and present, or more psyched for what they'll do on new growth platform. Well done all. 5/5 1 month ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.