I'm a managing partner at MNL Partners, where we develop energy and environmental projects in global markets, with a focus on China. I also serve on the boards of five audacious tech start-up companies. Finally, I'm co-founder and chairman of the investment committee at PRIME Coalition, a pioneering 501c3 nonprofit that's bringing philanthropic capital to energy innovation. In past lives I made venture capital investments at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester.
I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- High CO2 levels reduce nutrients in plants. Possible factor in bee collapse? Complex system, unpredictable outcomes. politico.com/agenda/story/2… 1 week ago
- Marc Lore is smart. Super high VC valuations are more important to VCs than to entrepreneurs. Be wary. linkedin.com/pulse/raising-… 2 weeks ago
- Join us. primecoalition.org 6/6 1 month ago
- ...why would you put a dollar to work once via a traditional grant, instead of >1x through impact investment? This is what PRIME does. 5/6 1 month ago
- If a foundation cares about climate change and thinks tech innovation is an under-pulled lever to inflect the arc of consumption... 4/6 1 month ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.