I'm a managing partner at MNL Partners, where we develop energy and environmental projects in global markets, with a focus on China. I also serve on the boards of five audacious tech start-up companies. Finally, I'm co-founder and chairman of the investment committee at PRIME Coalition, a pioneering 501c3 nonprofit that's bringing philanthropic capital to energy innovation. In past lives I made venture capital investments at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester.
I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- Excellent work by @LuxResearch re Hampton Creek debacle. bloomberg.com/features/2016-… 2 weeks ago
- File under "things that are not good for the stock price" @samsung #SamsungGalaxyNote7 https://t.co/96bAy1Vkfx 1 month ago
- 7/7 One investment is a point. Two is a line. Our next will make a curve. primecoalition.org 3 months ago
- 6/7 ...Sorenson Impact Foundation, Will and Jada Smith Foundation, JUST Water, and individual backers who will remain anonymous 3 months ago
- 5/7 Immensely proud of these entrepreneurs and those backing them, incl. Blue Haven Initiative, Boston Foundation (1st such deal)... 3 months ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.