I'm a managing partner at MNL Partners, where we develop energy and environmental projects in global markets, with a focus on China. I also serve on the boards of five audacious tech start-up companies. Finally, I'm co-founder and chairman of the investment committee at PRIME Coalition, a pioneering 501c3 nonprofit that's bringing philanthropic capital to energy innovation. In past lives I made venture capital investments at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester.
I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- RT @InsidePhilanthr: A nonprofit channeling charitable giving to clean energy tech startups: bit.ly/2zEdM5N @PRIMEcoalition https:… 1 month ago
- RT @GreentownLabs: This Wednesday don't miss @matthewnordan in "Happening", a film about the clean energy revolution. Get tickets here: htt… 2 months ago
- HBO documentary on energy innovation premiers Boston Wed 10/11. I appear in this, speaking on panel after screening dceff.org/ontour/boston/ 2 months ago
- High CO2 levels reduce nutrients in plants. Possible factor in bee collapse? Complex system, unpredictable outcomes. politico.com/agenda/story/2… 2 months ago
- Marc Lore is smart. Super high VC valuations are more important to VCs than to entrepreneurs. Be wary. linkedin.com/pulse/raising-… 3 months ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.
Monthly Archives: September 2011
tl;dr: Use less electricity, win valuable prizes. Look at the picture above. Stare long and hard. First of all, this is the least-cool protest I’ve ever seen. Second, is this what the smart grid has bought us? With north of … Continue reading
(A version of this post also appeared at Fortune.com. Thanks Dan!) tl;dr: It’s the team. I entered the venture capital business two years ago, focusing on seed/Series A cleantech start-ups. It’s kind of like picking a future NBA draft by … Continue reading
tl;dr: There’s a reason they call it risk capital. As you’re doubtless aware, Solyndra announced yesterday that it’s shutting down. The CIGS-on-tubes solar module maker raised nearly $2 billion in capital, including more than $1 billion from venture investors and … Continue reading