I'm Managing Director of Prime Impact Fund, where we fund breakthrough start-ups that could have a big impact on climate. I also serve on the boards of five audacious tech start-up companies and two supporting organizations. In past lives I learned venture capital at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, developed energy and environmental projects in China at MNL Partners, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester.
I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- Prime Impact Fund is recruiting for an Associate at our early-stage, climate-focused venture capital fund. Email ca… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- Never say "I'll let Cathy talk about..." in a meeting. It makes you sound pompous and the other person sound subser… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 11 months ago
- This makes a ton of sense, because smog stays where it's generated (doesn't blow anywhere) and every state has its… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 year ago
- When you turn on your DVR's "power saving" mode, it... doesn't save any power. It just turns off the LEDs. @Sense… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 year ago
- @FerBerlinckDV Intriguing idea, but invest in companies not patents and skeptical of licensing-type business models. 1 year ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.
Monthly Archives: September 2011
tl;dr: Use less electricity, win valuable prizes. Look at the picture above. Stare long and hard. First of all, this is the least-cool protest I’ve ever seen. Second, is this what the smart grid has bought us? With north of … Continue reading
(A version of this post also appeared at Fortune.com. Thanks Dan!) tl;dr: It’s the team. I entered the venture capital business two years ago, focusing on seed/Series A cleantech start-ups. It’s kind of like picking a future NBA draft by … Continue reading
tl;dr: There’s a reason they call it risk capital. As you’re doubtless aware, Solyndra announced yesterday that it’s shutting down. The CIGS-on-tubes solar module maker raised nearly $2 billion in capital, including more than $1 billion from venture investors and … Continue reading