I'm Managing Director of Prime Impact Fund, where we fund breakthrough start-ups that could have a big impact on climate. I also serve on the boards of five audacious tech start-up companies and two supporting organizations. In past lives I learned venture capital at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, developed energy and environmental projects in China at MNL Partners, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester.
I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- We’re hiring at Azolla Ventures! Finance & Operations Manager: “Chief of staff” type position.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 year ago
- RT @AmyDuffuor: If you want to support breakthrough #climatetech companies, we’re hiring at Azolla Ventures for several roles. Join me and… 1 year ago
- RT @CharmIndustrial: At Charm we inject plants-turned-carbon-soup deep underground to fight climate change. We’ve now delivered over 5,000… 1 year ago
- We’re looking for an investment operations manager for our venture capital fund. Are you a highly-organized badass… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 year ago
- RT @Lilac_Solutions: Lilac Solutions Announces $150 Million Series B to Scale Lithium Supply for the Electric Vehicle Era https://t.co/2BeL… 1 year ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.
Category Archives: Venture capital
tl;dr: PRIME launches today, bringing a new source of funding – philanthropic capital – to clean energy tech. How will we scale the world for 10 billion 11 billion people? How will we double the size of the consuming class … Continue reading
I spoke a couple of weeks ago at the NextWave Greentech Investing conference (organized by my friend Rob Day at Black Coral Capital). My aim was to describe the past, present, and future of investment in energy and environmental innovation … Continue reading
(A version of this post also appeared at GigaOM.) tl;dr: Cleantech VC is receding because of poor short-term performance – no surprise in a post-bubble field with outsized time and money requirements. The category is about to go on a … Continue reading
tl;dr: To successfully target VCs, view your deal through their eyes. I got an outstanding piece of advice in my first job: “Always see the world from the other person’s point of view.” If you’re trying to sign the pivotal … Continue reading