I'm Managing Director of Prime Impact Fund, where we fund breakthrough start-ups that could have a big impact on climate. I also serve on the boards of five audacious tech start-up companies and two supporting organizations. In past lives I learned venture capital at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, developed energy and environmental projects in China at MNL Partners, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester.
I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- We’re hiring at Azolla Ventures! Finance & Operations Manager: “Chief of staff” type position.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 year ago
- RT @AmyDuffuor: If you want to support breakthrough #climatetech companies, we’re hiring at Azolla Ventures for several roles. Join me and… 1 year ago
- RT @CharmIndustrial: At Charm we inject plants-turned-carbon-soup deep underground to fight climate change. We’ve now delivered over 5,000… 1 year ago
- We’re looking for an investment operations manager for our venture capital fund. Are you a highly-organized badass… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 year ago
- RT @Lilac_Solutions: Lilac Solutions Announces $150 Million Series B to Scale Lithium Supply for the Electric Vehicle Era https://t.co/2BeL… 1 year ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.
Category Archives: Numbers
I spoke a couple of weeks ago at the NextWave Greentech Investing conference (organized by my friend Rob Day at Black Coral Capital). My aim was to describe the past, present, and future of investment in energy and environmental innovation … Continue reading
(A version of this post also appeared at GigaOM.) tl;dr: Cleantech VC is receding because of poor short-term performance – no surprise in a post-bubble field with outsized time and money requirements. The category is about to go on a … Continue reading
tl;dr: U.S. hybrid vehicle sales were up 61% in 2012. It’s unclear why. Riddle me this: Why did U.S. hybrid sales take off last year? Prior to 2012, hybrids looked like something between a fad and a niche. Sales peaked … Continue reading
tl;dr: To successfully target VCs, view your deal through their eyes. I got an outstanding piece of advice in my first job: “Always see the world from the other person’s point of view.” If you’re trying to sign the pivotal … Continue reading
tl;dr: Winning cleantech start-up teams are complete at founding, have strong pre-existing relationships, and include the inventor of the core technology. This post was co-written with Josh Rogers, a former Venrock intern who’s now in National Grid’s Strategic Planning and … Continue reading