I'm Managing Director of Prime Impact Fund, where we fund breakthrough start-ups that could have a big impact on climate. I also serve on the boards of five audacious tech start-up companies and two supporting organizations. In past lives I learned venture capital at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, developed energy and environmental projects in China at MNL Partners, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester.
I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- Prime Impact Fund is recruiting for an Associate at our early-stage, climate-focused venture capital fund. Email ca… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- Never say "I'll let Cathy talk about..." in a meeting. It makes you sound pompous and the other person sound subser… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 9 months ago
- This makes a ton of sense, because smog stays where it's generated (doesn't blow anywhere) and every state has its… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 year ago
- When you turn on your DVR's "power saving" mode, it... doesn't save any power. It just turns off the LEDs. @Sense… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 year ago
- @FerBerlinckDV Intriguing idea, but invest in companies not patents and skeptical of licensing-type business models. 1 year ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.
Author Archives: Matthew Nordan
tl;dr: To successfully target VCs, view your deal through their eyes. I got an outstanding piece of advice in my first job: “Always see the world from the other person’s point of view.” If you’re trying to sign the pivotal … Continue reading
tl;dr: Nest Labs performs magic – making energy efficiency awesome, even for the nontechnical and non-green. We’re delighted to invest in the company. Back in February I acquired a Nest Learning Thermostat, famously designed by Apple’s original iPhone team. Looks … Continue reading
tl;dr: Mrs. Nordan vs. Nest thermostat! Will it take an afternoon to install? Will we ruin our house in the process? No on both counts! In June we installed a Nest Learning Thermostat in chez Nordan; I helmed the camera … Continue reading
tl;dr: Winning cleantech start-up teams are complete at founding, have strong pre-existing relationships, and include the inventor of the core technology. This post was co-written with Josh Rogers, a former Venrock intern who’s now in National Grid’s Strategic Planning and … Continue reading
tl;dr: Life is about to get a lot better for demand response and energy efficiency companies. One of the challenges of venture capital is that you invest in companies now based on what you know now, but the world may … Continue reading
For this year’s ARPA-E Summit I was asked to give a talk about different ways to finance an energy start-up. The challenge as it was given to me was “cover all sources of financing – VC, angels, grants, debt, everything … Continue reading