I'm a managing partner at MNL Partners, where we develop energy and environmental projects in global markets, with a focus on China. I also serve on the boards of five audacious tech start-up companies. Finally, I'm co-founder and chairman of the investment committee at PRIME Coalition, a pioneering 501c3 nonprofit that's bringing philanthropic capital to energy innovation. In past lives I made venture capital investments at Venrock, co-founded and led Lux Research, and forecasted technology futures at Forrester.
I really do live and breathe this stuff.
I'm also chromosomally incapable of keeping quiet. This blog hosts opinions (mine alone) on energy, venture capital, human behavior, start-ups, societal collapse, hope for the future, and everything in between: hopefully useful, usually numerate, and occasionally long-winded.
- Never say "I'll let Cathy talk about..." in a meeting. It makes you sound pompous and the other person sound subser… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 months ago
- This makes a ton of sense, because smog stays where it's generated (doesn't blow anywhere) and every state has its… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 year ago
- When you turn on your DVR's "power saving" mode, it... doesn't save any power. It just turns off the LEDs. @Sense… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 year ago
- @FerBerlinckDV Intriguing idea, but invest in companies not patents and skeptical of licensing-type business models. 1 year ago
- Entrepreneurs: Please do not form your company as an LLC. It makes it uninvestable. And converting is a pain. T… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 year ago
Sites I devour
“Cleantech”I'm not a fan of the term -- IMHO it's a vague catch-all that doesn't accurately reflect anybody's interest -- but it's what the world has decided to use. If you'd like, when you see it, mentally find-and-replace with "energy, environmental, and resource technologies" instead.